Whether you're making a new account or just updating your information, read on for help with verifying your phone number and email address on Venmo.
When you create your Venmo account, you’ll be presented with the option to sign up for just a personal account or both a business profile and a personal account. With either option, you'll need to verify your phone number at the beginning of the sign-up process.
It's also important to verify your email address, as any payments sent to an unverified email address or phone number won't reach your Venmo account. Learn more about verifying your email address on Venmo.
Verifying your phone number
When you sign up, a verification code will be sent to your phone number via text message. This text/SMS will come from a five-digit number (86753). Enter the verification code from the text message when prompted in the Venmo app/website to verify your phone number.
If you’re already signed up and haven’t verified your phone number, you can resend the verification code:
- In the Venmo app, go to the Me tab by tapping your picture or initials
- Tap the Settings gear in the top right
- Select Account
- Tap Phone Number and enter your number again
I'm having trouble verifying my phone number
If your phone verification attempts aren't working, try any of these tips:
- Click Resend Code if your phone is unable to receive messages from short codes.
- Text the word “START” to the number 86753 to ensure you're allowing text messages from Venmo.
- Try logging into Venmo from a different computer with your email address and password, which will require verification via SMS code (Successfully logging in on a computer using an SMS code will also verify your phone number automatically)
- Finally, be sure you have messaging from short codes enabled with your phone provider
Still having trouble? Contact Venmo Support, and we’ll be happy to help out.
(Note: We also send you a different code whenever you sign in on a new device. Learn more about what to do when you have a new device.)
Verifying your email address
After you sign up, and any other time your update your email address, we’ll send a message to the email address that you entered. Click the link in the email to verify ownership of your email address, and you’re all set.
It’s important to complete this step as soon as possible after updating your email address. Doing so helps to ensure that you can keep receiving payments and important notifications about your Venmo account.
Replying directly to the verification email will not verify your email address. If you’re not seeing the email, try searching your inbox for Venmo and check your spam or junk folder.
Verifying a secondary email address
If you were paid using a different email address from the one associated with your account, you can verify an additional email address from the web. This will also work if you did not verify your primary email address when signing up.
Sign in, then enter your email address and click Verify. A new email should be sent to you with a verification link.