If you’re having trouble accessing your Venmo account, please DON’T create a new account. This can cause issues with your payment methods, and it’s prohibited in the User Agreement.
What information can I use to sign in to my Venmo account?
You can sign in to your Venmo account using the email, phone number, or username that you signed up with, along with your password.
What is this code that Venmo wants to send me?
All Venmo accounts are protected by Multifactor Authentication (MFA). When signing in, you may need to confirm your identity by entering a code that we send to the phone number or email linked to your account. If you are unable to receive that text, you can sign in by selecting “I don’t have access to this phone” or contacting our support team. If you don't receive the email, please contact us so we can help update your email.
You can find more information about these codes and why we use them here.
New phone number? See this article.
I’m trying to sign in, but Venmo is sending a code to an old phone number I no longer have.
If you no longer have the phone number on file with your account:
- Sign in from a phone or computer that you’ve previously used to access Venmo. You may be able to skip the security code challenge, and you can update your phone number once you sign in.
- If you see “Other options to confirm your identity…”, select it.
- Otherwise, follow the instructions in this article to update your phone number.
If you do have the same phone number:
- Sometimes emails and text messages are delayed. If you don’t receive a code within 10 minutes, tap “Send code again”. You can also check your spam or junk folder for a code sent to your email address.
- Codes are only valid for a limited period of time. If the code you received isn’t working, try signing in again to generate a new code.
Venmo is sending a code to a phone number I don’t recognize.
Don't worry: Without your password, whoever received the code will not be able to access your Venmo account. If you're concerned that the recipient of the code knows your password, you can reset your password.
If you’re concerned that someone has access to an old device of yours that was still logged into your Venmo account, please visit this article for more information on how to delete “remembered devices” from your Venmo account.
I'm having trouble with my password.
Choose “Forgot your password?” or “Forgot Password?” when signing in and enter your email address or phone number. We’ll send you a link to reset your password. You can find more information about the process here.
I'm getting an error message when I try to sign in.
Venmo is currently only supported within the United States. If you try to sign in while abroad, you’ll likely get an error message.
If you’re within the U.S., make sure you’re not using a VPN. Also, try using a different Wi-Fi network or disabling Wi-Fi completely.
If you get an error that says “Connection Closed by Peer”, “Error Authenticating”, or “Unexpected Error”, your device’s OS may not be compatible with Venmo. Venmo only works with Apple iOS 10.0 or Android 5.0 Lollipop (API 21) or higher at this time. Follow these links to check your Android version or iOS version.