When you sign in from a device we don’t recognize as yours, a code is sent to the phone number registered with your Venmo account. Entering this code correctly provides an extra level of authentication for your Venmo account. Never share this code with anyone else. Venmo will never ask you to provide your six-digit code on a phone call, text message, email, or chat. Venmo will never ask you to send us money on another payment platform. For more information on how verification codes work, you can read up here.
If you have a new phone number, sign in from an old phone or computer that you’ve used to access Venmo previously. We’ll let you skip the security code challenge. Head to Settings, and update your phone number there. Now, you should be able to log in on your new device.
NOTE: If you have an old Venmo account with an old phone number, please DON’T make a new account with your new phone number. This can cause issues with your payment methods, and it’s prohibited in the User Agreement. Instead, read on for more info on accessing your existing account.
If you can’t log in and can’t use an old device, follow these steps:
- On the login screen, enter your username, email address or old phone number along with your password. You’ll see a screen that offers to send the six-digit code to your old phone number
- If you see a link that says either, “Other options to confirm your identity…” or, “I don’t have access to this phone,” click on the link. An alternate way to confirm your identity will be presented on the next screen
- If you DON’T see a link or don’t have the information to confirm your identity, please contact our Support team and be sure to include the following information to expedite the process. (Note: It may take 1-2 days to complete this process)
- Your full name
- Email address and old phone number associated with your Venmo account
- For a bank, the full routing number and last 4 digits of your bank account number. OR, if you’re providing a card, the first 6 digits and last 4 digits of the card number. Please do not provide the full card number or bank account number for your security
Once you’re logged in, you can go into the Settings menu on the app or Venmo.com to update your phone number.
If Venmo is sending the code to your current phone number and you’re still not receiving it, please visit this page.