Note: This article covers the process for new Venmo users wishing to sign up for a business profile with their required personal account AND existing Venmo users wishing to create a business profile.
If you just intend to sign up for a personal account alone, check out this article.
I already have a Venmo account
If you’re eligible for a business profile, you’ll see the option to create one in in the Venmo app and when you sign in from the web:
In the app:
- Tap on the “+ Create a business profile” option near the top of your screen on the “Me” tab and follow the prompts
- You can also select the Settings gear and tap “Create Business Profile to get started
On the web:
Sign in to your account at venmo.com/account/sign-in
Select “Create a business profile” from the menu and follow the prompts
Once your business profile is created, you can manage the profile and customize your settings from the Venmo app. You’ll use your existing login info (not your business profile username) to access either profile. If you’re already signed in, just tap your photo at the top of the “Me” tab to toggle between your personal and business profiles.
I'm new to Venmo
- In order to create a business profile, you’ll be required to sign up for a Venmo account, which includes a personal profile. Both profiles can be created during the same signup process from the app or the web.
To get started in the Venmo app or on the web:
- Choose the “Business” option, then "Get started"
- Enter your mobile phone number and tap "Send code"
- Enter the code sent to your phone
- After verifying your phone number, enter your legal name and the email & password you want to use on Venmo
- Review our legal terms and conditions and tap "Agree"
If the phone verification process is successful, your Venmo account will be created. Your phone number must be successfully verified for your Venmo account to be successfully created. You'll be able to retry this step if needed.
You can also choose to skip the creation of your business profile now and continue to finish setting up your Venmo account. If you skip this now as a new user, please know that the option to sign up for a business profile is available for existing users as well.
If you continue creating your business profile, the next series of screens will ask for details about your business, including:
- Whether your business uses an SSN or EIN
- Your business display and username, as well as a short description and business category
- A background and profile photo – we recommend using one that highlights what you do and attracts potential Venmo buyers
- The mailing address you use for your business
- Public business information including customer-facing business address (full address or just city and state), phone number, and social media
At this point, you’ll have the opportunity to preview your profile (to view what your customers will see). You can now publish your business profile.
You can view account statements for your business profile from the web, but you’ll need to use the Venmo app to complete identity verification and explore other unique features. In the app, you can toggle between your business profile and your personal profile by tapping your photo at the top of the “Me” tab. You’ll use your personal profile's credentials to log in to and access either profile. Please keep in mind you’ll only be able to create one business profile.
Can I use Venmo outside of the United States?
Not yet! While we hope to make Venmo available internationally, Venmo is only accessible within the United States at this time.
What mobile operating systems is the Venmo app compatible with?
Venmo is only able to support Apple iOS 13 or Android Lollipop (API 21) or higher devices at this time.
Can I sign up for only a business profile (and forgo a personal account?)
A business profile on Venmo requires an accompanying personal account.
You must either sign up for a personal account and business profile at the same time, or set up your personal account alone first. Business profiles are available to Venmo users with existing personal accounts.
Where can I sign up?
If you don't already have a Venmo account, you can sign up for a business profile from venmo.com or the mobile app.
You also must be in the United States and have a mobile device capable of accepting SMS messaging. If you do already have a Venmo account, you’ll see the option to create a business profile in the app. Just tap on the "Me" tab and select “Create a business profile” from the top of your screen to get started.
Why does it say my phone number or email is already on file?
It’s possible that you may have already created a Venmo profile and simply need to sign in. If that is the case, you can use your email, phone number or username and password to log into your account.
If you’ve previously created a personal account alone, you should sign in –as business profiles are available to Venmo users who have a personal account.
If you’ve created a personal account and a business profile, you’ll sign in with your personal account credentials. Once you’ve signed in, you can toggle between your personal account and business profile.
Still not able to log in? Check out this article for more details and next steps.
Do I need to provide an EIN for my business?
We'll only ask you to provide an EIN if you use one. If your business has an EIN, you'll be able to submit your EIN for tax reporting purposes during signup.
If you're a sole proprietor who uses an EIN, you may have the option to provide us with your EIN at a later time. For now, you can complete identity verification using your 9-digit SSN or ITIN. Completing this step ensures that you and Venmo are working in compliance with IRS requirements.
Can I create a business profile for an association or club?
Business profiles can be created to represent a wide range of associations and clubs. When creating your business profile, you can choose from the following categories under Association:
- Automobile Association
- Civic, Social, and Fraternal Organization
- Membership Club (Sports, Recreation, Athletic), Country Club, and Private Golf
- Membership Organization
- Political Organization
- Schools and Educational Services