Note: This article covers the process for new Venmo users wishing to sign up for a business profile with their required personal account AND existing Venmo users wishing to create a business profile.
If you just intend to sign up for a personal account alone, check out this article.
If you already have a personal Venmo account:
- If you’re eligible for a business profile, you’ll see the option to create one a few places within the Venmo app: Tap your photo in the top-left corner or tap the ☰ button at the top of the app and open Settings. When you see the option to “Create Business Profile,” tap it to get started.
- Once your business profile is set up, you can toggle between it and your personal account by tapping your photo in the top-left corner of the app. You’ll use your existing login info (not your business profile username) to log into your Venmo account to access either profile. Please keep in mind you’ll only be able to create one business profile.
If you’re new to Venmo (you don’t currently have an account):
- In order to create a business profile, you’ll be required to sign up for a personal Venmo account as well. Both accounts can be created during the same signup process.
After downloading the app:
- Choose the “Business” option
- Tap the “Sign up” button
- On the next screen, choose “Get Started”
- Enter your name, email address and create a password
- Tap on the “Agree” button and enter your mobile phone number before tapping “Send Code”.
You should receive a four-digit code, which can be entered before selecting “Submit Code”. If the verification process is successful, your business profile is now created. It is worth noting your phone number must be successfully verified for your business profile to be successfully created. If you are unable to verify your number at this point, you’ll be given another opportunity to verify. You can also choose to skip the creation of your business profile now and continue to finish setting up your personal Venmo account. If you skip this now as a new user, please know that the option to sign up for a business profile is available to existing users as well.
If you are successful in your phone verification, you’ll be presented with a series of screens that will ask for details about your business, including:
- Whether or not your business uses an EIN
- Your business display and username, as well as an opportunity to fill in a short description and your business category
- The address you use for your business (this will be kept private)
- Optional public business information including customer-facing business address, phone number, and social media
At this point, you’ll have the opportunity to preview your profile (to view what your customers will see). You can now publish your business profile and enter the name you’d like to use on your corresponding personal Venmo profile.
You can toggle between your business profile and your personal account by tapping your photo in the top-left corner of the app. You’ll use your personal account’s credentials to log in to access either profile. Please keep in mind you’ll only be able to create one business profile.
Can I use Venmo outside of the United States?
Not yet! While we hope to make Venmo available internationally, Venmo is only accessible within the United States at this time.
What mobile operating systems is the Venmo app compatible with?
Venmo is only able to support Apple iOS 10.0 or Android Lollipop (API 21) or higher devices at this time.
Can I sign up for only a business profile (and forgo a personal account?)
A business profile on Venmo requires an accompanying personal account.
You must either sign up for a personal account and business profile at the same time, or set up your personal account alone first. Business profiles are available to Venmo users with existing personal accounts.
Where can I sign up?
Signing up for a business profile takes place within the app. If you don’t already have a Venmo account, you can sign up for a business profile and a personal account at the same time or just a personal account alone. You must be in the United States and have a mobile device capable of accepting SMS messaging. You can download our app from the App Store or Play Store depending on your device, and create your business and personal accounts.
It is worth noting that you’ll need to verify your phone number during the business profile creation process. If you are unable to verify, you can skip the business profile creation process and just set up your personal account. Then, you can create your business profile at a later time, as business profiles are available to existing Venmo users as well.
Why does it say my phone number or email is already on file?
It’s possible that you may have already created a Venmo profile and simply need to sign in. If that is the case, you can use your email, phone number or username and password to log into your account.
If you’ve previously created a personal account alone, you should sign in –as business profiles are available to Venmo users who have a personal account.
If you’ve created a personal account and a business profile, you’ll sign in with your personal account credentials. Once you’ve signed in, you can toggle between your personal account and business profile.
Still not able to log in? Check out this article for more details and next steps.
Why does it say my EIN is already on file?
Please contact us for assistance.