Privacy is a big concern with technology. We put you in control so that you can decide who can see your Venmo payments and purchases. Make sure your app is updated to the newest version to see our latest privacy controls.
What each privacy setting means:
- Public: The transaction will be shared on the Venmo public feed and anyone on the internet will be able to see it.
- Friends only: The transaction will only be shared with your Venmo friends and with the other participant’s Venmo friends.
- Private: We will not share the transaction anywhere other than the "Your Stories" tab in the personal transactions feed and, if it’s a payment to another user, the feed of the other person in the payment.
What information about a payment is shared with the sender or recipient?
- The payment amount, payment note, names of sender/recipient, and timestamp of the payment are available to each individual involved in the payment.
- ONLY the sender of the payment has access to the payment method used (for example: the bank account, debit/credit card number, etc.). The recipient will NEVER see this information.
What payment information is visible on the public feed when I share payments with friends?
- When a payment is shared, other people will be able to see the payment note, names of sender/recipient, and timestamp of the payment.
- ONLY the sender and recipient have access to the payment amount.
- ONLY the sender of the payment has access to the payment method used.
How does sharing payments with friends on the public feed work?
- You can set the privacy setting on a payment or purchase on an individual basis. If you don’t want to change the privacy setting every time you make a payment, you can change your default privacy setting. Your future payments will automatically default to your preference, but you can adjust this before completing the payment. See instructions below on how to change your privacy setting.
- When you transact with someone else on Venmo, including payments from merchants, the more restrictive privacy setting between the two of you will be honored. If you have your payments set to Private but your friend has their payments set to Public, a payment between the two of you will be set to Private.
- Purchases made using your Venmo Mastercard Debit Card or Venmo Credit Card, and purchases from approved merchants when you pay with Venmo are Private by default, but you can change the privacy setting on any purchase to share them.
- All of your transactions, regardless of privacy setting, will still be visible in your personal transactions feed so that you have a transaction record.
Changing the Privacy Setting for an Individual Payment or Purchase
You can set the privacy setting for each individual payment or purchase, right from the payment or purchase itself. Just select or tap on the privacy setting in any payment or purchase and select your preferred setting.
Changing Your Default Privacy Setting
You can set up your Venmo account so that the privacy setting for all future payments is automatically set to your preference (remember, you can change the privacy setting for an individual payment by following the above steps, no matter what your default privacy setting is).
To update your privacy settings on the web first log in to venmo.com. Then navigate to Settings → Privacy and select your preferred default privacy setting. Finally, make sure to click Save Settings.
To update your sharing settings in the app please make sure your app is updated to the latest release. Then, tap the "☰" icon at the top and tap "Settings." From there select "Privacy." Under “Default Privacy Setting” select your preferred default privacy setting.
Keep in mind, when you pay or request money from someone else on Venmo, the more restrictive privacy setting between the two of you will always be honored.
Hiding Your Past Payments
You have the option to make your past payments private or friends only.
On the app, navigate to Settings -> Privacy and under Past Transactions select your preference.
This is permanent and we cannot undo this action. Please note that private payments and purchases will remain private even if you select “Limit to Friends."
On the web, first, log into venmo.com. Then navigate to Settings → Privacy. From there, click on your preference. Finally, make sure to click Save Settings.
Commenting on Transactions
You can keep the story going by commenting on your friends’ payment activities. In order to comment on a payment, you need to be friends on Venmo. You can find more about adding and removing friends here.