If your bank account is marked “Invalid” on Venmo, it means that Venmo was unable to deposit to or withdraw funds from that account successfully (or both). Read on for more information.
Why was my bank account marked Invalid?
We'll send you an email with some information about the issue if your bank account is marked "Invalid". Some reasons why this can happen include:
- The micro transfers used for manual bank verification failed due to an incorrect (mistyped) routing or bank account number
- The bank sent us a notification that they couldn’t find an account with the information you provided
- The account you entered was not valid for electronic/ACH transactions (this often happens if you try to add a savings account)
- The account’s transaction limit has been exceeded, or the funds are on hold
Venmo needs to be able to transfer funds into and out of your bank account without any problems. Any of the errors listed above can prevent that from being possible, so you won't be able to use the bank account on Venmo.
What should I do if my bank account was marked “Invalid?”
If your bank account is marked “Invalid” on Venmo, please reach out to your bank to confirm the following:
- You have the correct account number and routing number
- There are no restrictions on electronic or ACH transactions for your bank account
If you entered your account number or routing number incorrectly, you should be able to delete the bank account from Venmo and then add the bank account again using the correct information.
In some rare cases involving temporary bank account restrictions (like a freeze on your bank account that has been lifted), Venmo Support may be able to revalidate the bank account in our system for you. In most cases, though, we’re unable to revalidate the bank account because the issues would persist. If that happens, you’ll want to use another bank account or card on Venmo.
What happens if a joint bank account is marked "Invalid"?
Some Venmo users share a joint bank account on two Venmo accounts. If the bank account is marked “Invalid” on one Venmo account, it will be marked “Invalid” on the other.