Due to a recent change outside of Venmo, the Cash a Check feature is no longer available for users in the state of New York starting on February 14th, 2022. We regret any inconvenience this may cause and encourage you to contact our Support team, should you have any questions about this.
Please note, any checks submitted by users in New York prior to 2/14/22 will still be processed.
How do I use the Cash a Check service in the Venmo App?
In order to use the Cash a Check service, you must have completed the required identity verification by applying for the Venmo Debit Card or Setting Up Direct Deposit. Once you've done that, here's how you can cash a check:
- Download the Venmo app, and make sure you’re on the latest app version.
- Go to the go to the “You” tab by selecting the single person icon and tap “Manage Balance”.
- Select “Cash a Check.” You’ll be prompted to verify your account information if you have not already done so.
Enter the check amount, take a picture of the front and back of your endorsed check with your mobile device and tap “Next”.
Select how quickly you want to have access to your money (fees may apply).
It usually takes a few seconds to review a check for approval, although it can take 10-15 minutes and in rare circumstances, up to 1.5 hours to verify enough check information to approve your check.
If your check is approved, you’ll be prompted to write “VOID” across the front of your check and submit another photo showing it has been voided. Do not write “VOID” on your check until you are prompted to do so, after you receive confirmation that your check was approved.
Once finalized, you’ll see a confirmation page verifying the amount of the money transferred that will be available in your Venmo account.
When will my money be available if I use the Cash a Check service in the Venmo app?
When you submit a check through the Cash a Check feature, and your check is approved, you can choose one of two options on the “Review Check Details” screen to get your money.
- “In minutes” option: You can choose to pay a fee and get your money in minutes. It usually takes a few seconds to review a check for approval, although it can take 10-15 minutes and in rare circumstances, up to 1.5 hours while we work to verify enough information to approve your check. If your check is approved, your money can be credited to your Venmo account usually within minutes.
- “In 10 days” option: If you’re not in a rush, you can choose to pay no fee. The money can be available in your Venmo account in 10 days if the check is not returned unpaid within the 10-day period.
What are the limits on Venmo-Ingo Cash a Check?
You may cash checks ranging in value from a minimum of $5 to a maximum of $5,000. You can cash multiple checks totaling up to $5,000 in value per day and up to $15,000 in value per month. All checks are subject to review for approval.
Is my data secure when using the Cash a Check service in the Venmo app?
Your information is stored in Ingo Money Inc. systems designed to prevent unauthorized access by others and your personal information is only shared as set forth in the Ingo Money Privacy Statement.
How do I take a picture of a check using the Cash a Check service in the Venmo app?
Cash a Check features automatic image capture, so taking pictures of your checks is easy!
Place your endorsed check on a dark-colored, plain surface that is well-lit. Then, open the Venmo app, go to the “You” tab by selecting the single person icon , tap “Manage Balance” and launch “Cash a Check”.
Tap the first check image field and position your mobile device over the check at a slight angle so that you don’t cast a shadow on the check. Fit the corners of the check inside the guidelines and watch the box turn green. Turn the check over and tap the second check image field to repeat the process and take a photo of the back of the check.
If auto image capture moves too quickly for you, or your device doesn’t support it, you can take a picture manually by tapping the camera and flash icons on your screen.
After you take pictures of your check, the app will display the amount of the check. Simply confirm that the amount is correct and tap “Next”. Continue to follow the screen prompts to “Review Check Details” screen where you can choose to receive your money “in minutes” (fees may apply) or “in 10 days” (no fee). Review your transaction details on the Confirm screen, then submit the check for review.
What are the fees to use the Cash a Check service in the Venmo app?
- Get Money in Minutes for a Fee: To cash a check and get your money in minutes, the standard fee is 1% for payroll and government checks with a pre-printed signature and 5% for all other accepted checks, with a $5 minimum fee per check.
- If your check isn’t approved to be cashed, no fees will be assessed.
- Get Money in 10 Days for No Fee: Alternatively, you can choose to get your funds in 10 days for no fee. Your money will be added to your Venmo account if your check is approved and is not returned unpaid during the 10-day period.
I’m using the Cash a Check service in the Venmo app and my check wasn’t approved. Why?
All checks submitted are subject to review for approval by Ingo Money, and most of the checks reviewed are approved. There are times when we are unable to approve a check due to inconsistencies in check images, limit-related issues, insufficient check verification data, or information about the check writer’s account. Unfortunately, we can’t always tell you exactly why a check is declined because privacy regulations prevent Ingo from sharing a check writer’s account information with you.
Below are some examples of reasons that check may be declined:
- The name on the check doesn’t match your name, as it appears on your Venmo account.
- The check wasn’t endorsed.
- The amount of the check is less than $5 or more than $5,000, which are the check cashing limits set by Ingo Money.
- The amount of the check will cause you to exceed the Cash a Check limits. You may use this service to cash checks ranging in value from a minimum of $5 to a maximum of $5,000. You can load multiple checks totaling up to $5,000 in value per day and up to $15,000 in value per month.
- The check images are illegible or do not pass authenticity screening.
- The check is a single-party check (drawn on another account you own), a temporary check, a credit card check or another unusual check type we don’t support.
- A properly voided image of the check was not received.
- Sufficient information could not be verified on the check writer’s account.
- The check was written on a closed or compromised account.
If your check is declined, you’ll be notified in the Venmo app. The funds will not be added to your Venmo account, and no fee will be assessed. You may attempt to deposit or cash your check with another service provider, or alternatively contact the check writer and request a new check or a different method of payment. If you have additional questions, please reach out to Ingo directly.