We review account and transaction activity at various times, including when you initiate a transfer of funds out of Venmo. This review checks for, among other things, suspicious or illegal activity, and whether your account activity and the activity of users with whom you’ve transacted comply with the Venmo User Agreement.
Review may result in:
- delayed, blocked or canceled transfers;
- funds being held by Venmo;
- funds being applied to a negative Venmo account balance or used to offset loss incurred by Venmo;
- account suspension or termination;
- funds being seized to comply with a court order, warrant or other legal process; and/or
- funds you previously received being reversed (i.e., sent back to the sender’s Venmo balance or to the card or bank account that was used to fund the payment).
Among other reasons, we may take the above actions if you knowingly or unknowingly received a payment that was made from a stolen card, compromised bank account, or compromised Venmo account, or if you conducted a prohibited transaction, such as using Venmo to transact with another user who is not an authorized merchant and who you do not personally know for good or services (for example, concert tickets, electronic equipment, sneakers, a watch, or other merchandise).
In connection with our review process, you may be required to provide us with additional information and/or documentation to verify your identity. We may limit your account and your access to funds in it until verification is completed.