If you’re receiving an error message in the app that doesn’t include specific instructions, try these troubleshooting steps in order. They often resolve most issues:
- Make sure you’re connected to the internet (Wi-Fi or data) and have enough storage/memory available on your device. If you are using a VPN, try turning it off to see if it resolves the issue.
- Log out of your Venmo account and back in.
- Delete the Venmo app and reinstall. (This does not affect your Venmo account. It also ensures you’re using the newest version of the app.)
- Make sure your device OS is up to date.
If you’ve tried the above troubleshooting but the issues persists, please contact our Support team.
400 / 403 errors
Usually, these error messages indicate you’re trying to do something in the Venmo app that isn’t possible or isn’t allowed.
- If you’re trying to send a payment or bank transfer, make sure you haven’t reached your limits by visiting our articles on payment limits and bank transfer limits.
- If you’re trying to log into your Venmo account, make sure you’re choosing “Sign In” instead of “Sign Up.” Remember that you can only log into Venmo from the U.S.
“Bad state” errors
This error message means Venmo is or was experiencing technical issues. If you tried to make a payment or bank transfer, check your transaction history in the app to determine if it was successful. If it failed, please try again later.