Venmo is available as a payment option in select merchant apps and for select merchants on a mobile browser. In order to check out at these merchants using Venmo, you will need to have the Venmo app installed on your mobile phone and will need to opt-in to make purchases. Then, depending on the merchant, you can pay with Venmo in one of the following ways.
On Your Native Mobile Browser (Safari on iOS devices; Chrome on Android devices)
If you see a PayPal button:
- Simply tap the PayPal button while shopping in a mobile browser to launch the checkout experience. A Venmo payment option will appear on the next screen, if it is available.
- Please keep in mind that in order to see the option to pay with Venmo, you will need to have Venmo currently installed on your phone, be checking out with an eligible PayPal/Venmo merchant, and not have configured PayPal OneTouch. For more information about how to change PayPal OneTouch settings, please see this support article: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/one-touch-checkout/faq
If you see a Venmo button:
- Simply tap the Venmo button on a mobile device to launch the checkout experience. A Venmo payment option will appear on the next screen.
- You may be prompted for permission to link your Venmo account with the merchant, or you will check out as usual.
Purchases in Other Apps
- If you’re in an app that offers a Venmo button, tap on it to authorize your purchase. You will then be prompted for permission to link your Venmo account with the merchant. Once linked, that merchant will have the ability to charge your linked Venmo account for future purchases in accordance with your agreement with the merchant. You can disconnect your Venmo account from the merchant at any time by going to "Settings" in Venmo and tapping on "Connected Merchants." Select the merchant you want to stop making purchases from, and tap "Disconnect" at the bottom of the screen.
- Check out https://venmo.com/business/start/ for the most up to date list of apps that accept Venmo.
Similarly to payments that you send to your friends, Venmo will first attempt to use money in your Venmo account when paying for your online purchase. If you do not have enough money in your Venmo account to cover the entire cost of the purchase, Venmo will charge the full amount to the card or bank account you have on file that you have designated for online purchases. You can read more about how to change your funding source here.
I disconnected my Venmo account from an app. Why does it still appear as a payment method in that app?
Even if you disconnect your Venmo account from a merchant’s app, it may still appear as a payment option if the merchant has not refreshed your account. However, the merchant won’t be able to charge your account if you’ve disconnected it through the Venmo app.